Here’s what you’ll need to make this Rosemary Potato, Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Hash.
- Hot Italian Sausage
- Mexican Cheese
- Tomato, for topping
- Green onions, for topping
- Salt + Pepper
What type of potato do I use?
Yukon golds are great in this recipe. You can totally use sweet potatoes, red potatoes, even russets. Just make sure to keep the skin on so you get a nice crunch! Or you can peel them, up to you!
What type of meat or sausage should I use?
This recipe called for hot Italian sausage. I was really craving some heat with herbs. Other varieties you can try are chorizo, chicken sausage, andouille even a beer brat could work, and let’s not forget about bacon.
What type of cheese should I use?
For this recipe, I used shredded Mexican cheese. I was so tempted to use cheddar cheese, but sometimes you just have to work with have you’ve got. You can use mozzarella, or even pepper jack cheese would be amazing. You do you.
How to make this recipe:
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°. Scrub the potatoes clean then cut into cubes or halves, depending on the size of potatoes. Slice up a shallot, if you don’t have a shallot a yellow onion will due.
- Now in a cast-iron skillet or heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, potatoes, salt, pepper, and shallot. Stirring and tossing frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped rosemary about 3-4 tablespoons worth. Then add 1 Tbsp of butter, toss in the melted butter. If the potatoes start to burn, reduce the heat. Continue to cook for 10 minutes until potatoes have crisped on all sides. Take off the heat.
- Make four small wells in the potato mixture for the eggs. Carefully crack four eggs into each well. Season the eggs well with salt and pepper, then sprinkle cheese over the potatoes.
- Transfer cast iron to the oven and bake for 10-13 minutes for runny eggs, for more well-done eggs bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, top with avocado, green onions, and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
How to store this hash?
Allow this dish to cool completely before refrigerating. Store in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. When re-heating I recommend doing it in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. You can also freeze this, again let it cool completely before freezing, Store in an airtight container and it will last for 1-2 months. When re-heating if you plan on using the microwave you can simply pop it in frozen. However, if you want to re-heat it using the skillet allow the hash to defrost in the fridge first before frying it up. Otherwise, you run the risk of the potatoes breaking up and burning before thawing.
Rosemary Potato, Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Hash
Savory and cheesy breakfast skillet that you can throw together in less than 30 minutes. Top with hot sauce or avocado slices and boom you have a breakfast of champions.
- 1 ½ lb potatoes, halved
- ½ lb hot italian sausage
- 3-4 springs fresh rosemary
- 4 large eggs
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- tomato, sliced for topping
- cilantro for topping
- green onion, thinly sliced for topping
- 1 Tbsp butter
Preheat the oven to 375°. Scrub potatoes clean then cut into cubes.
In a cast iron skillet, or heavy bottom pan over medium high heat. Add EVOO, potatoes, salt, pepper and shallot. Stirring and tossing frequently for 5 minutes. Then add rosemary. Then add 1 Tbsp of butter, toss in the melted butter, continue to cook for 10 minutes until potatoes have crisped on all sides.
Make four small wells in the potato mixture. Carefully crack four eggs into each well. Season eggs well with salt and pepper, then sprinkle cheese over the potatoes
Transfer cast iron to the oven and bake for 10-13 minutes for runny eggs, for more well-done eggs bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, top with avocado, green onions and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
What I love about breakfast hashes are how customizable they can be.
VEGAN VARIATIONS: potatoes, vegan cheese or nutritional yeast, bell peppers, onions, black beans, avocado.
DAIRY FREE VARIATIONS: sweet potato, bell peppers, onions, chicken sausage, hot sauce, avocado.
PALEO VARIATION: bacon, kale, paprika, sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, avocado, eggs.