We're not kidding- this is the ultimate spaghetti and meatball recipe. It should be named the "trifecta" because in my opinion it's the perfect meatball, sauce and pasta all in one dish.
The one and only time I made meatballs was on Season 15 of Worst Cooks In America, it was a complete disaster! I'm also dating someone with Italian roots which means it was time for a meatball redemption.
In our meatballs we use three different types of meat (veal, pork, and beef) for an unbelievable flavor and texture. Plus a savory (hot sausage) meat sauce that pairs perfectly. Served over al dente bucatini pasta for that classic spaghetti bite.
The Most Amazing Spaghetti Bolognese Ever
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 6 links Hot Sausage remove casing. Pork or turkey work best.
- 2 tsp oregano dried or fresh
- 1 handful fresh Basil
- 2 29 oz cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 can San Marzano tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Romano Locatelli cheese freshly grated
- Red chili flakes to taste
- 1/3 lb beef preferably organic
- 1/3 lb veal preferably organic
- 1/3 lb pork preferably organic
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp whole milk sub half and half
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3/4 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole egg + 1 yolk
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 3/4 cup Romano Locatelli freshly grated
- Fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Start sauce, in a medium pot over medium heat, add chopped onions and cook till translucent (about 3-4 minutes). Then add minced garlic.
Remove casing from sausage. Add sausage to the pot, cook until browned.
Season with oregano, fresh chopped basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
In a blender, pulse the tomatoes until crushed.
Add tomatoes and a handful of basil ( not chopped ) to the pot. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
Add cheese and simmer for half an hour. Set aside. Then transfer to a larger shallow pan.
Start meatballs, in a large mixing bowl combine breadcrumbs, milk, olive oil, diced onion, garlic, egg, parsley, oregano, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Make 2-3 inch balls and arrange them on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes (semi done)
With the sauce in a larger pan and on a low-medium heat, add the meatballs into the sauce to where the meatballs are completely covered by the sauce.
Simmer for at least an hour.
Serve with pasta and ejoy!